CITY OF URBANDALE
invites applications for the position of:
$21.89 - $32.83 Hourly
$1,750.96 - $2,626.50 Biweekly
$45,525.00 - $68,289.00 Annually
Under the general direction of the Building Official,
provides inspections and enforcement of all building, housing, plumbing,
electrical, mechanical, energy and handicap accessibility codes adopted
by the City for industrial, commercial and residential
construction. May provide plan reviews for the above codes,
addresses questions and concerns from architects, general contractors,
sub-contractors and homeowners concerning code issues. May
represent the City during pre-construction, project update, and pre-final
meetings with construction supervisors, design professionals, and project
owners. Advises the public on code compliant solutions to
problems found in the field, and seeks compliance with the intent and purpose
of model code and standards. May administer and enforce the Sign
Ordinance, and/or the Zoning Ordinance including investigation and
responding to nuisance complaints. May administer and enforce the
Rental Housing Code including conducting required inspections, ensuring
the minimum standards are met, and responding to sanitary and safety
The position of Building Inspector is approved for Fiscal Year 2015/16.
The start date will be July 1, 2015 or after.
• May provide residential plan review for building,
plumbing, electrical, mechanical and/or fire codes.
• Performs field inspections and provides code requirement
interpretations relating to building (structural, framing, footings,
etc.), plumbing (utility, sanitary, storm sewer, etc.), electrical, and
mechanical (HVAC, venting, gas line, etc.) for commercial and/or
residential construction to ensure compliance with adopted building codes
and ordinances. This includes new construction, remodeling,
additions, rehabs, rental properties and/or other structures (fences,
garages, storage sheds, etc.).
• Ensures that Special Inspection reports are submitted as required.
• Assists, consults and informs architects, engineers, contractors,
builders and homeowners providing code related interpretations and
• Enforces site plan requirements to ensure the construction
complies with the zoning and engineering requirements regarding location
and size, consults and coordinates with the Planning Division and\or
Engineering\Public Works Department.
• Provides updates to the Building Official and inspection team
regarding critical or controversial determinations made during on-site
inspections or plan review, which may require further review or an
official administrative policy to maintain consistency.
• May administer and enforce nuisance ordinances including
responding to complaints.
• May administer and enforce the Rental Housing Code by
arranging/conducting inspections, keeping accurate records, billing
owners/landlords and conducting re-inspections.
• Maintains accurate records of all inspections and correspondence
including, but not limited to, construction permits, property activity,
code violations, and contractor licensing and schedules appointments as
• Ensures the collection of fees.
• Assures that all work performed meets the City’s standards for
customer service, accuracy, quality, and efficiency.
• Assures that the City’s mission, goals and objectives are fully
supported and initiated.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Periodic Job Duties/Responsibilities
• May serve as a member of the Safety Committee
• May be required to attend and report at Board meetings as assigned
by the Building Official
• Visually checks storm and sanitary sewer structures and existing
sidewalks located in construction areas to determine possible damage
caused by construction activities.
• Compiles various reports as required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Two (2) years of additional schooling in construction management
or technology, engineering, architecture or related field or 3 years of
inspection, plan review or applicable construction experience.
• Valid Iowa Driver’s license
• Certified Residential and Commercial Electrical Inspector by the
International Code Council (ICC) within 12 months of employment. (ICC #E1
• Certified Residential and Commercial Building Inspector by the
(ICC) within eighteen months of employment (ICC # B1 & #B2)
• Other certifications as required for area of expertise within 18
months of employment.
Civil Service score will consist of a written test and
scored panel interview, each with a minimum score of 70% and each
weighted equally. Candidates with the top ten passing scores on the
written test will be invited to the scored interview. Candidates invited
to testing will be notified of testing dates/locations via
Pre-employment drug screen required.
NOTE: Persons with disabilities must submit requests for ADA accommodations
to the Human Resources Department, in writing, prior to the application
MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
3600 86th St.
Urbandale, IA 50322